Fashion Calendar: Project Finished

In this article I´d like to show you final images for the fashion calendar I was working on. Instead of simple presentation of the photos I´ve decided to make the rollovers from them so you can see how the photo looks before and after editing.
Under each photo you´ll find description of the editing. Hope that it will be usefull for you. And I will answer all further questions about the post processing in the comments!







This week I´ve finally finished editing photos for a fashion calendar I was working on. I´ve spent a lot of hours on it and have done a lot of post processing but I knew that it will be necessary since the day of shooting because we had very limited time and shoot in a very small location. You can read more about the photoshoot in the article "Photoshoot for Calendar: How to Deal With Inexperienced Models".

Let´s take a look at the rollovers. If you want to see how the photo looked before editing move the mouse above it. It takes a little time before the images load so please be patient.



In this photo I did following editing:
  1. retouched the background - remove other people except the model and mess on the sidewalk,
  2. made the model slimmer with Liquifity filter,
  3. increased contrast with Gradient Map,
  4. added redder tones with two Selective Color adjustments,
  5. soften and sharpen it with High Pass filter,
  6. added vignette,
  7. added warmer tones with Gradient Map,
  8. added diffuse light with the Brush Tool.



I shoot all the photos on 18-55mm, f3.6 - 5,6 lens but I really wanted the DOF made by f1.8 lens. I owe this lens but I decided to not to use it because I was afraid that some of the photos will be out of focus. And because of that I had to change DOF in Photoshop.

The adjustments are following:
  1. increased contrast with Black, White Gradient Map set on Luminosity,
  2. orange Photo Filter for warmer tones,
  3. Selective Color for more violett colors,
  4. makeup painted on layer with Overlay Blending Mode,
  5. changed lights and shadows on hair,
  6. blurred background with Alien Bokeh plugin,
  7. changed colors with default Violet, Green, Orange Gradient Map set on Soft Light,
  8. added diffused light with the Brush Tool,
  9. vignette.
I really enjoyed doing this photo because I played a lot with lights on the scene and it was real fun. I´ll definitelly repeat this process on some photo in the future. I did these adjustments:
  1. added trees to the right upper corner,
  2. changed facial features with Liquifity filter,
  3. increased contrast and lighten image with Gradient Map,
  4. sharpen and soften with High Pass filter,
  5. blurred background with Alien Boke plugin,
  6. added bluer tones with Selective Color,
  7. added lens flare to the upper left corner,
  8. added white stripes in the background,
  9. added vignette,
  10. created reflection on women´s glasses.

I started with editing completely different photo but still couldn´t achieved good result. So I moved on another photo of this dress and then editing didn´t take more than two hours. I did following:
  1. sharpen and soften with High Pass filter,
  2. increased contrast with Black, White Gradient Map set on Luminosity Blending Mode,
  3. blurred background with Alien Bokeh plugin,
  4. added blurred grass in the foreground to create better impression of space,
  5. added bluer tones with Selective Color,
  6. added bubbles and vignette,
  7. lighten hair roots.

Another photo I spent a lot of hours on editing but I must say that it´s one of my favorite from the whole set. As you might see on the before and after pictures I played quite a lot with Liquifity filter. Except from that I did following:
  1. added right part of the background to get better composition,
  2. made the picture darker with Levels,
  3. adjusted highlights and shadows separately thanks to Luminosity selection with Curves,
  4. added blurred background again,
  5. made yellower tones with Selective Color,
  6. made hair oranger - painted with orange over hair on the layer set on Overlay,
  7. darken lists of the book because they were overexposed,
  8. changed lighting of the face and added makeup,
  9. darken background with Levels,
  10. added butterfly,
  11. added vignette.

Another photo I really enjoyed to edit. I used a technique for creating decent foggy effect in the background I had used almost year ago in one of my landscape photos. It was nice to go back to this technique. Following adjustments were done on this photo:
  1. cleaned background with Content Aware and Stamp Tool,
  2. Liquifity filter,
  3. added more light on women´s face,
  4. increased contrast with Black, White Gradient and added vignette,
  5. redder leaves of the background trees with Selective Color,
  6. added falling leaves to add dynamic to the picture,
  7. added the orange haze to create more mystical atmosphere,
  8. changed light and shadows of the scene with the Dodge and Burn Tool,
  9. added orange tones with Photo Filter.

I spent really a lot of hours on this photo. I still wasn´t satisfied with the composition and the photo looked empty and uninteresting. I was thinking about what to add for almost four days till I came up with decent rainbow. I did following adjustments:
  1. made woman thiner with Liquifity filter,
  2. increased contrast,
  3. remove one of the birches,
  4. added blue flowers,
  5. added sun rays and lens flare to the right,
  6. add yellow tones with Gradient Map,
  7. changed lights and shadows,
  8. lighten the hair roots,
  9. added rainbow.

This is probably my favorite photo from the photoshoot. I like the colors and fragile mood and it was also quite quick to edit. I did following:
  1. made her thiner with Liquifity filter,
  2. blurred background with Alien Bokeh plugin,
  3. added Violet, Yellow Gradient Map set on Screen,
  4. added Lens Flare,
  5. lighten it with Gradient Map,
  6. darken ivy,
  7. add yellow tones with Color Balance,
  8. lighten hair roots.

Editing of this one was quite quick. It´s little different from the rest photos but I wanted to give it more urban feel because according to me it fits better to the dress. I did these adjustments:
  1. retouched the background,
  2. made her slimer with Liquifity filter,
  3. added blue and violet tones with Selective Color,
  4. added vignette and lens flare,
  5. added more blue tones with Blue, White Gradient Map set on Soft Light,
  6. added more lights on her face,
  7. added violet vignette,
  8. sharpen with High Pass filter,
  9. lighten with Levels,
  10. added warmer tones with Photo Filter.

This was definitelly the hardest photo for editing. It took me more than ten hours to get the result I´m satisfied with. I tried three different photos before I stayed on this one. Post processing was following:
  1. darken the picture with Levels,
  2. added tulips,
  3. desaturated with Hue/Saturation,
  4. made red redder with Selective Color,
  5. changed the light scene simply with the Brush Tool,
  6. darken with Levels again,
  7. add warmer tones with Color Balance,
  8. blurred background,
  9. added Lens Flare,
  10. added vignette and bokeh texture,
  11. sharpen with High Pass filter.

This photo is the opposite of the previous one because it was the easiest to edit from the set. I:
  1. changed contrast with Levels and Gradient Map,
  2. added warmer tones with Photo Filter, 
  3. added vignette and lens flare,
  4. lighten it with Gradient Map,
  5. added light to her face.

This one was also real fun to edit. I exactly know what look I want to get so it was really easy. I did following:
  1. cleaned background with the Stamp Tool,
  2. made her slimer with Liquifity Tool,
  3. added light to her face,
  4. added leaves to create impression of space,
  5. increased contrast with Gradient Map,
  6. blurred background with Alien Bokeh,
  7. added lens flare,
  8. added more contrast to the dress with Selective Color,
  9. added warmer tones with Selective Color,
  10. added vignette.
I really hope that this article was useful or interesting to read for you. If you have any question about some technique I used feel free to ask in comments. Also if you´re interested in deeper description of post processing on some of the pictures let me know. I might describe it in following article.
- Jarka